December 18, 2014
Government announces poverty reduction strategy committee
December 22, 2014
WHO ARE WE?
Poverty Free Saskatchewan (PFS) is a new network of individuals, organizations, governments and businesses working toward poverty elimination. PFS recognizes there have been anti-poverty groups working hard for decades in all regions of our province and we wish to support a province-wide movement.
Poverty elimination will require involvement and commitment from governments, business, community organizations and individuals. PFS values and promotes respect for all perspectives in its poverty elimination campaign.
- Poverty still exists today and is a serious problem.
- Economic inequality is associated with many social and health problems
- Poverty costs us all. Eliminating poverty has many benefits and will save society money.
- Poverty is not just about money, it’s about being excluded from community life.
- Poverty can be eliminated. Other provinces and countries have reduced economic inequality through the development of antipoverty programs.
WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO?
“Let’s Do Something about Poverty”, outlines the situation in Saskatchewan regarding poverty. It is intended to encourage dialogue and new and innovative proposals and solutions. We are working toward the creation of an effective and detailed poverty elimination strategy for Saskatchewan.
For more information, take a look : Let’s Do Something About Poverty
In April 2011 PFS released the discussion document Strategies to Eliminate Poverty in Saskatchewan
In 2011 and 2012 PFS partnered on consultations around eliminating poverty that were held in North Battleford, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Regina, Tisdale, Nipawin and Melfort. The report Communities Respond was released on Monday Oct0ber 15, 2012.